Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Resume Cover Letter - Mini Course Day 6

Effective Ways To Ask For The Job Interview

A resume cover letter should effectively ASK for the job interview.

Did you do this well in every one of your job search letter?  If you don’t, you’ll be beaten by your competitors who do!

Where And How To Effectively Ask For A Job Interview In Your Next Cover Letter

While job seekers generally ask for an interview at the end of the letter, there is no reason why you can’t place this request directly at the very beginning of the letter. 

A very effective way of doing it is to write this headline:
I would love the opportunity to interview in person for the position
of (job title).  Then continue your letter with “Dear Mr Smith…”  Of course you’ll make the same request in your last paragraph.

THREE More Effective Ways
To ASK For An Interview

If you want to attract quality job interviews like a magnet, you need to write a powerful message to achieve your desired result – job interviews.  Write messages that shine with your personality, desire and passion in the job being offered.  Here are three best examples.

  1. I have researched (company name) and am excited about this opportunity. I would love the chance to interview for this position and am available at your earliest convenience. If possible, can we schedule a meeting in the next two weeks?
  2. I would like the chance in person, to discuss the specific reasons why I believe I am the applicant you are looking for. If you will grant me an interview for (job title), I can be reached at 1234-5678.
  3. I am excited about the possibility of a personal interview to further discuss my qualifications with you. I am immediately available and can be reached at 5555-5555. I will follow up with a phone call as well to make sure you have received my application.

Be sure to add one of these paragraphs at the end of your next cover letter. You’re going to motivate more and more hiring managers to call you up for interviews. Imagine your letter without such interview requests, you’ll be just waiting for your phone to ring, day after day. 

CONCLUSION: Write a POWERFUL message to ASK for the interview will motivate the hiring manager to give you a call.

Resume Cover Letters - Mini Course Day
6