Monday, March 14, 2011

Resume Cover Letter - Mini Course Day 4

Short and Sweet – Keep It To One Page / 20 Seconds

There is one BIG secret in writing a compelling resume cover letter – keep it short. There are two reasons for this. The less you write, the fewer mistakes you will make and the higher chance to attract the eyes of the hiring manager.  Remember, the trash bin loves long letters, but not the hiring manager.

Warning! 20 seconds does not only mean that the hiring manager is too busy and has only 20 seconds to read your letter. It is when a person read, what they read in the first 20 seconds will seed into their brain more firmly.

FIVE Layout Tips for a Highly Effective Resume Cover Letter:

  • One page (or 20 seconds) max. The longer, the less effective.
  • A good balance between white space and text.  Make it comfortable for reading.
  • Three paragraphs max.
  • Paragraphs should contain no more than four to five sentences each, but I highly recommend just three well-written sentences per paragraph.  Simple short sentences work much better than long sentences.
  • After you've finished your letter, print it out to see that it’s easy on the eyes and ‘invites’ you to read more.  

Use these FIVE tips to create your next cover letter and I guarantee you'll avoid the 'recycle bin,' and land more quality job interviews.

Example of a GOOD Short Cover Letter
A Hong Kong-based colleague referred me to you. I am very keen to build upon my senior management experience with the United Nations, and am seeking a director-level position with a Wall Street investment bank as head of credit risk management.

My background is in behavioral scoring, leading organizational change, advocacy, and fund-raising.
 
I would prefer to be based in Hong Kong, but am open to other cities in Asia.

I've attached my CV, and I look forward to the opportunity to talk with you or one of your colleagues about next steps.

Example of a BAD Short Cover Letter
I am currently seeking jobs. Please find attached CV for your reference. Please feel free to call me at 1234-5678


Short vs Short
I didn’t create the BAD example for demonstration, it was a real letter.  Likewise, the GOOD example was also a real letter.  I don’t have to explain, you see the difference.  No matter how short your cover letter is, it has to been short and sweet, sensibly reflects your professionalism and maturity.

CONCLUSION: Less is more.  Keep it one page or 20 seconds. 

Resume Cover Letters - Mini Course Day 4